Although people tend to worry about the status of their bodies, the status of the mind is equally as important. With the arrival of social media, it is easy for us to post pictures of a smiling face on Facebook, yet a smile is not enough to prove that we have a good and healthy mind.
The mind is the tool of consciousness. Following a head injury, for example, a person can experience altered levels of consciousness. If the injury is severe enough, other aspects of mind action such as memory and reasoning could be affected. One does not have to be a victim of head injury or know someone with Alzheimer’s disease to understand the importance of a sound mind. Having a good mind is important for us to discharge our family and work duties.
Here are some supplements that will support good mind function:
• Fish oil: comprises DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid). They are commonly known as the Omega 3 fatty acids. They are good fats in contrast to unsaturated fatty acids that contribute to inflammation and ill health. DHA is one of the building blocks of brain tissue as well as the retina.
• Turmeric is a highly versatile supplement that should never be overlooked. It has been linked to positive health changes in depressed individuals. It is also believed to be useful in preventing Alzheimer’s dementia as well as cancer.
• Green tea: is very attractive because it can serve as a substitute for coffee. It is also packed with anti-oxidants that can help the brain eliminate free oxygen radicals. In addition, green tea is rich in polyphenols which has been shown to be useful in mental health.
• Ginkgo Biloba: has a long history of use in Chinese medicine to help boost memory and brain function.
• Vitamin B 12 plays an important role in the metabolism of fatty acids that are incorporated in the myelin sheet of nerve cells. Myelin is essential for the transmission of signals in the nervous tissue. Deficiency of Vitamin B12 has been linked to memory loss and neurological disorders.
It is important to note that supplements cannot be used, solely, to treat or prevent any disease. Anyone wishing to have a good mind needs to adopt other healthy choices such as exercise, smoking cessation and moderation of alcohol intake. Visiting us at the Salerno center is always a wise decision.