You may or may not have heard of dragon fruit, aka pitahaya, but this tropical superfood is delicious and quite unique looking. Some say this strange looking fruit tastes like a sweet version of a kiwi, and the inside is quite beautiful, as the flesh can either be white or a pinkish-red, mixed with tiny black seeds. The visual appearance of this fruit is quite stunning, and when it’s made into a food dish, the result is enchanting. Especially since dragon fruit is packed full of phytonutrients and antioxidants, making it a wonderful addition to your daily diet. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of dragon fruit:
• Acts as a digestive aid
• Can potentially help guard against cancer
• Is heart-healthy
• Helps prevent diabetes
• Is an immune booster
• Has anti-aging effects
Luckily dragon fruit can be found at many grocery stores, just make sure to buy organic when possible. However, you may not want to eat the fruit by itself, but there are many ways to use this fruit in recipes. One way is to turn it into ice cream, which is easy to do with this simple dragon fruit ice cream recipe. Making your own ice cream is absolutely delicious, and knowing exactly what’s in it is the best way to enjoy this favorite dessert treat. This is especially true when your ice cream uses simple and wholesome ingredients, which then turns it into a guiltless treat.
Dragon Fruit Ice Cream Recipe
• 3 organic eggs
• ¼ – ½ honey (adjust to taste)
• 2 cups pureed dragon fruit
• 2 cups milk with cream (i.e. raw milk, full-fat coconut milk, almond milk)
• Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
1. Going by your user manual, prepare the ice cream maker.
2. Use a high-powered blender to mix together the eggs, honey, and salt. Blend until you see a frothy head form.
3. Pour egg, honey, and salt mixture into the ice cream maker. Then add in the milk and the pureed dragon fruit into the ice cream maker.
4. Follow your ice cream maker’s instructions and run until the mixture is frozen.
5. Remove from ice cream maker and keep it frozen in a freezer-safe container for several hours, or until firm.
6. Remove 5-10 minutes to soften before serving. Enjoy!