During the winter season, it’s common for the blues to set in. Otherwise known as the winter blues or Seasonal Affective Disorder, it’s common for people to feel depressed and sad during the winter time. Season Affective Disorder or SAD is a mood disorder that begins in the late fall or early winter and fades as soon as the weather improves. This recurrent type of depression can affect many different aspects of your life, such as your job and relationships, and it can be debilitating for some people. However, what many don’t realize is that certain foods can help enhance your mood. During the winter, having a cup of hot chocolate is an excellent way to warm up, all while fighting off feelings of depression. Dark chocolate has the ability to boost your mood, as it helps release serotonin and relaxes the blood vessels of the cardiovascular system. So why not fight off depression with a cup of healthy hot chocolate?
This winter season curl up with a blanket, a good book, and a hot cup of healthy hot chocolate. There is no better way to warm your bones, all while lifting your spirits. If you have been searching for a healthy hot chocolate recipe to try, look no further! There’s no better way to embrace your inner child.
Healthy Hot Chocolate Recipe
• 1 Tbsp. raw cacao powder
• 1 cup coconut milk (or another milk alternative)
• 1 Tbsp. honey (can also use another alternative, such as coconut sugar or maple syrup)
• 1 Tbsp. coconut butter (optional)
• ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1. Using a small pot, add the milk and bring to a slow roll over medium heat.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients.
3. Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined.
4. Serve immediately and enjoy!