Sometimes you get a craving to reach for something sweet. Maybe you need the pick me up, or maybe it puts you in a better mindset. No matter the reason, many people find chocolate to be magical, especially after a hard day. It tastes delicious and can always seem to put you in a better mood. Maybe it’s because chocolate contains chemicals and neurotransmitters that can affect the human brain, which can affect your emotions and the way you feel. You can find chemicals such as tryptophan in chocolate, which has the ability to release serotonin into the brain, offering relief from anxiety and depression. Anandamide, which has been called the “bliss molecule,” is a neurotransmitter that acts as an antidepressant. Creating a feeling of well-being, anandamide activates a receptor in the brain that stimulates dopamine production. So if you’re feeling stressed and anxious, reach for some chocolate!
If you are looking for a dessert that tastes heavenly and offers a mental boost, check out this delicious raw cacao-coconut mousse recipe!
Raw Cacao-Coconut Mousse Recipe
• ¼ cup (4 tbsp.) of raw cacao powder
• 1 ½ cups of coconut cream or 2 cans of full-fat coconut milk
• 2-4 tbsp. of maple syrup (can substitute with honey or coconut nectar), adjust to taste
• 2 tsp of vanilla extract
• Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
• Your choice of topping (i.e., chocolate, coconut, fruits, nuts)-optional
1. If using coconut milk, place cans in the refrigerator for a few hours, or overnight. Open can and scoop out hardened cream on top. Place the coconut cream in a mixing bowl.
2. Add in the cacao powder, coconut milk cream, maple syrup, vanilla, and a pinch of Himalayan pink salt.
3. Whisk the mixture with a stand or hand mixer until all of the ingredients are combined and appears light and fluffy.
4. Spoon into serving bowls and top with desired toppings, and serve immediately.
5. Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator, will keep for several days.