Many think that sweet treats aka dessert are not something you should be eating if you want to be healthy. Luckily, there are ways to have your dessert and not feel so guilty about it. There are ways to make healthy, sweet treats that taste just as good, if not better, than what most of us are used to. If you are looking for a dessert recipe that is different, and healthier than the rest, check out this delicious and healthy chocolate mousse recipe.
Healthy Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Serves: 4-6 people
• 2 cups of homemade coconut cream or the cream from 2 cans of full-fat coconut milk
• 1/4 cup of organic coconut oil or ghee (your choice)
• 1/4 cup organic cacao powder (adjust to taste)
• 1/4 cup organic honey (preferably raw)
• 1 Tbsp. water
• 1 tsp organic, grass-fed gelatin
• 1 Tbsp. organic vanilla extract
• 1 half of an organic avocado, mashed
• Fresh, organic fruit to top (optional)
• Whipped coconut cream to top (optional)
1. Thoroughly mix together the water and the vanilla extract in a small bowl.
2. Sprinkle the grass-fed gelatin over the top of the water/vanilla mixture and then set aside for 10 minutes.
3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the cacao powder, honey and coconut oil (or ghee). While whisking frequently, bring to a boil and then remove the pan from the heat.
4. Add in the gelatin mixture into the saucepan and whisk until the mixture is smooth and well combined. Set saucepan aside.
5. Using a food processor or hand mixer on medium speed for one minute, beat the coconut cream in a large mixing bowl. Then add the avocado and slowly pour in the chocolate mixture and continue to beat until fully combined.
6. Taste mixture and adjust if necessary. Add more cacao powder or honey if you want to make the mixture have a richer chocolate taste, or make it a tad bit sweeter.
7. Spoon the mousse mixture into small glasses or bowls. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for one hour
8. When served, can add whipped coconut cream and fresh fruit on top if desired. Enjoy!