If you have a crock pot or a slow cooker at home, you may think that it’s just for stews and soups, but did you know that it works wonders on nuts as well? This holiday season, offer a delicious, healthy alternative at get-togethers and family dinners, or make a few batches to give out as a holiday gift. This slow cooker spiced nuts recipe will go great on the table and will make your home smell heavenly. So save on oven space, and pull out the slow-cooker to make these delicious nuts. These spiced nuts are easy to make and are sure to be a hit this holiday season!
Slow Cooker Spiced Nuts Recipe
• 6 cups of raw, unsalted whole nuts (i.e., walnuts, almonds, pecans, cashews)
• 2 egg whites, from a large egg
• 3 tablespoons of melted ghee or coconut oil
• 1 cup of coconut sugar, or your choice of sweetener (i.e., maple syrup)
• 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
• ½ teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt
• 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
• ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
• Cooking spray or coconut oil to grease slow-cooker
1. Lightly grease the slow-cooker with coconut oil or cooking spray.
2. In the slow cooker add the two egg whites and whisk until frothy.
3. Add in your choice of sweetener, vanilla, salt, ghee (or coconut oil), as well as the spices and stir into a thick syrup.
4. Add the nuts and with a spatula, stir until all of the nuts are evenly coated.
5. Place a double layer of paper towels on top of the slow cooker, and then cover with the lid. Leave the slow cooker on low for 3 to 3 ½ hours, or if you are short on time, you can cook on high for an hour to an hour and a half.
6. Stir the nuts every 20 minutes. Nuts are done when the coating no longer appears shiny. Instead, they are lightly browned, and the surface looks dull.
7. Once the nuts are finished, stir and then place on top of parchment paper. Spread nuts out so they can cool completely.
8. Once the nuts have cooled down, you can break apart any nuts that are stuck together and transfer to an airtight container.
9. Spiced nuts can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week.